A girl made a comment to me on Friday that has made me start thinking a lot. I am on activities in my ward. I have been for over a year now. This girl was in my ward last summer for our annual ward campout. I remember her talking to me and telling me how quiet I am....blah...blah...blah... She left for a year, and she is now back in the ward. We were waiting at the parking lot for people to show up so we could carpool to the campsite.
Girl: Annie, you are still in activities?
Annie: Yes.
Girl: They should have released you a long time ago...plus you are too shy to be on the activities committee.
Annie: (Death stare) You don't have to be outgoing to be on activities.
I pose this question. Why is "shyness" seen and thought of as a negative trait?
I don't believe it. And I am not just saying that because I could be labeled as "shy." According to people that are close to me, there is a difference between shyness and quiet, and they would categorize me as quiet. I will fully admit that I do not have much confidence in myself.
We also discussed that shyness is only negative when it prevents you from progressing...being a hermit is not a good thing, I totally agree, and I agree with the fact that shyness that stops your growth is not always good. But, why is it that everyone needs to break out of their shells. Do we really have to? Am I not a good person unless I have this miracluous transformation? I don't believe it!
I am always telling myself that I am not good enought because I am quiet. Why do I tell myself that, because that is what I have been fed all my life. I want to embrace my "quietness", and not perceive it as a bad trait! I know it will be hard because it is drilled in my head everyday of my life!
Can I let these thoughts and comments roll of my back, or will I take it as truth like I have done always?
2 comments:
Annie, your thoughts are very mature and self-seeking. I totally agree with you. Quietness can be beautiful once embrassed. We do not have to be tied down to the 'norm.' In fact, those who are constantly seeking the approval of others over the approval of themselves are at the disadvantage. We are what we are and should not try and live a lie, especially if we are content from the beginning. The problem is not with you but those who choose to point their fingers, showing their own insecurities.
how freaky would that be if we were all outgoing??
i have always loved you for your shyness... you bring a sense of peace and calm to the room that i love and treasure. keep being you and tell that silly byu girl to stuff her opinions!
Post a Comment